Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I Know You Love Her, But...

The "love" industry is full of crazy surprises.  Customers often involve you in conversations about how the couple met or even how he proposed.  But on the flip side of that, you also hear about scandalous divorces and feuds between siblings concerning estate jewelry.  Simply put, you never know what's going to come out of someone's mouth next.  However, it was a completely different experience when it isn't words that my customers were sharing with me.

For the sake of anonymity, let's call my customers Mr. and Mrs. PDA.  Mr. and Mrs. PDA were one of the youngest couples I have ever sold an engagement ring to.  They dropped it on one of our biggest sale days of the year where they found a ring she absolutely loved but the price was a little high.  After two hours of competing with another store down the hall, Mr. and Mrs. PDA were ready to take the plunge.  I ushered them to the credit counter so start the financing process.  But Mr. and Mrs. PDA didn't follow my lead like most customers do.  I turned around to not only find them still standing in the same exact spot but their tongues were locking like they were in the privacy of their own home!



I was a little taken back at first, but then forced myself to see the cute and sentimental side of the situation.  He had basically proposed in the middle of our store and we had the wonderful privilege of seeing her reaction... or so I thought.  Mr. and Mrs. PDA didn't just share a moment together, they shared a half and hour together!  I could no longer stand and admire their love for each other because it felt wrong to do so.  It was so awkward I felt myself trying to find other things to do around the store without seeming like I was ignoring them.  The situation got so excessive that Mr. PDA's Grandma, who had been helping them through the buying process, asked them to save the celebration until later.  And when that didn't stifle their affection, she LEFT the store!  My only support in the situation just left the store!

Finally, the couple reined in their emotions and we were able to actually get the ring on her finger.  In four years of selling jewelry, I have never seen another couple grope each other like Mr. and Mrs. PDA.... oh the things people do when they're in love!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment